Friday, October 11, 2013

Kombuchade

A friend shared this recipe with me for lemonade that contained whey from yogurt for the probiotic benefits.  Since I don't strain the whey from my yogurt & rather strain it from my milk kefir, it has a pretty tangy taste.  Thinking about that in my lemonade made me kind of gag, so I decided to try kombucha in place of the whey.

The result?!  A FABULOUS, refreshing, tangy lemonade that everybody has LOVED & asked for more of.  I wanted to use honey, but since there is conflicting information whether or not the antibacterial properties of honey would destroy (or at least compete with) the beneficial bacteria in kombucha, I opted for white cane sugar that I had on hand.  Feel free to substitute with sucanat, stevia, etc. but I can't give quantities for stevia as I don't use it in larger amounts.  If you do, please come back & let us know how much you used and how it turned out!  I didn't use fresh lemons as they are not in my budget to use in large quantities, so I used bottled lemon juice.

The amount of lemon juice & kombucha varies depending upon how long the kombucha has been fermenting & how sour it is.  I use more lemon juice & less kombucha if the kombucha is really sour.  Feel free to experiment & find the taste that suits your taste buds!

Also, I don't want someone to not like whatever I make because I didn't use enough sugar so I use 1/4 - 1/3 C more when making it for guests, etc.  When making it for my household, I use 1 C because I try to use as little sugar as possible and we are used to having less sugar, & things taste good to us even with less sugar.  Again, feel free to tweak it to suits your needs!

 
INGREDIENTS for 2 quarts:
  • 6 1/2 - 7 C water
  • 1/2 C lemon juice (according to taste & according to how much kombucha I use)
  • 1/2 C kombucha (I use more kombucha if it isn't as sour & less if it has been fermenting for a while)
  • 1/2 C sugar or sweetener (I usually use a tad more if making it for others)

I add 1/2 the water & the rest of the ingredients to avoid spilling out of the container while stirring.  Once sugar is dissolved I add the rest of the water & stir it all up.  Put in the fridge for a couple of hours or more to chill & then enjoy!!

Do YOU make any different flavored lemonades??  What do YOU make as a refreshing drink when you'd like something besides water??  Do you add any probiotics to your beverage??  Try this & let me know what you think!  Feel free to substitute the kombucha for whey as the original recipe calls for, as well as water kefir, etc. and come back to comment so you can tell me what you used & how you liked it!!

<3 Mama Lee <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment... I love to hear from my readers!!